- This event has passed.
January 19, 2020 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
KEY INSIGHTS INTO THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC
- There have been about 250,000 opioid-related deaths since 19992
- ~83% of opioid-related deaths are unintended/accidental –mostly occurring outside of a medical setting3
- A significant rate of mainstream America is at risk: Over 60 million Americans received at least one opioid prescription in 2016
- Nearly 12 million Americans report misusing prescription opioids4
- 80% of heroin users reported misuse of prescription opioids prior to heroin5
- 45% of heroin users report a history of dependency with prescription opioids6
- As of 2016, there are ~1 million Americans using heroin, which may often inconspicuously be laced with fentanyl (100 times more potent than morphine)7
The threat of an ongoing opioid epidemic continues with many lives at risk from an overdose. Community-based naloxone is a part of the overall fight against the consistent increase in death rates. Your efforts matter.